Pranayam is doing wonders for people across the globe. It comprises of a degree of breathing exercises, which when practiced as a controlled breathing phenomenon brings about the balance in body and mind scenario. Anulom Vilom is the most important part of Pranayam and is practiced sitting in a meditative posture such as Sukhasana or Vajrasana. Those who are unable to sit down because of some ailment can sit on a chair and perform the exercise. However, practicing the technique in a proper yogic posture is most beneficial.
Posture and procedure to perform Anulom Viloma: Left hand is to be kept on the left knee after sitting in the recommended yogic posture. The right hand is to be placed on the bridge of the nose and the 4th and the middle fingers on the left side of the nose. Fold your index and middle fingers and do not twist your nose; only press it on the cartilage region to keep a tab on breathing. After that exhale through left nostril and then inhale through the same, by closing the right nostril. Then repeat the same process in the opposite direction. Exhaling through the left nostril would be the last step in a single circle.
Benefits of Anulom Vilom:
- Calmness and relaxation because of ample oxygen intake and carbon dioxide exhalation.
- Stress, cold, mild fevers, eye and ear problems, etc. can easily be juggled with its regular practice.
- Has proved to be very helpful in migraine, chronic sinus problems, blockages in the arteries of the heart and improving blood circulation.
- Indulges positivity in a person.
- The most effective feature of this asana that suits everyone even in this fast paced lifestyle is that it requires just 15-20 minutes of your time and no specific place to perform.
- Anulom Vilom is also beneficial in obesity, constipation, gastric problems, acidity, hepatitis B, diabetes, gastric problems, allergic problems, asthma, snoring, concentration, and even in deadly diseases like cancer and AIDS.
- The Pranayam has been proved to benefit in cardiovascular disorders, high BP, heart blockage, arthritis, stretching of cartilage, ligaments, Parkinson’s, paralysis, migraine pain, depression, asthma, allergy, and sinus.
- Regular practice of this Pranayam has the capacity of cleansing all your innumerable Nadis, which makes the body healthy, lustrous and strong.
- This is also very helpful in most of the diseases caused because of the disturbance of ‘Vata Dosha’ like rheumatism, gout, diseases pertaining to urinary and reproductive organs.
Considering the infinite benefits of Anulom Vilom, it is highly advisable to perform the same for 15-20 minutes a day. Still one must keep certain precautions in mind to extract the best results out of the exercise. Some of the precautionary measures are:
- Inhalation should be done into your lungs and not stomach.
- No organ in the abdominal cavity should be filled with air. Air should be filled in thoracic cavity.
- The asana should be performed at medium speeds.
- The pranayam must be performed in a relaxed posture.