It can be a challenging task to gain weight and at the same time maintain the added kilos. Lack of appetite, certain health conditions, extensive and strenuous physical activity without adequate diet, building muscle or a genetic tendency to be skinny may be one of the reasons of not gaining weight.
A large number of skinny guys aspire to bulk up and enhance their muscle mass. Initial preparation and awareness of the basic techniques is the keyword which can ultimately lead to success.
All your activities should revolve around this basic goal. The overall features of developing bulk, relevant diet and the weight lifting program should be focused on the main target.
There are few basic steps for building your body and if followed properly shall effectively develop muscle tone and increase greatly your levels of fitness.
Muscle Building For Weight Gain
#1. Switch to an Active Lifestyle: Start Working-out
It is significant to evolve a healthy and energetic lifestyle in place of a sedentary one. You cannot instantly start a workout of high intensity even if you have lifted weights in the past but are out of shape in the present. You must launch a three week general fitness training program to enhance your endurance and stamina.
Also boost your flexibility and degree of motion. Make sure that you have ample joint mobility. Your muscles should be trained to withstand the pressure of intense workout.
Later, as you start bulking; you will have to work out with greater intensity. Initial weeks of preparation will minimize your probability of an injury and decrease the rate of accumulation of the body fat. Employ this general fitness training time to gather all relevant knowledge available about bulking up. You should be aware of all training techniques and strategies when you commence the real training session. Also collect and learn to use the necessary equipment required to reach your final goal.
#2. Focus on Compound Exercises
Lift heavy weights to increase your bulk. Lifting weights while on a bulking diet is compulsory. If you are consuming excess calories without lifting weights you will merely increase the concentration of fats in your body. It is wise to select a bulking strategy that focuses on progressive overload.
Lifting the same degree of weights everyday will not induce the desired results. You will not be able to enhance your muscle mass progression. Always strive not to indulge in isolation exercises during your bulking phase. Try not to engage in workouts that focus on specific parts of the body.
Some great compound exercises:
- Bench Press
Isolation exercises put main stress on a single, isolated muscle. It is very essential to do compound exercises which focus on working the whole of your body.
Compound exercises such as squats concentrate on multi-joint movements and synchronized actions of many muscle groups to move two or more joints. With a set of compound exercises, you can get a whole body workout. This mode of power training rapidly builds muscle mass and general fitness. It also strengthens the body as a whole.
#3. Create a Proper Workout Schedule
- It is essential to keep accurate track of the lifting schedule to ensure that you are consistently progressing. Avoiding adaptation is extremely important.
- You must focus on the principle of progression to achieve success. Balance the rate of progression. An excessive slow rate of progression increases your fat. An aggressive rate of progression can cause injury to your connective tissues. You can moderately incorporate progression in the workout by gradually increasing the intensity.
- This can be accomplished by increasing the number of sets, or doing frequent workouts or reducing the resting time between the sets.
- You will only bulk up by gaining weight gradually and doing workouts with increasing intensity. Write all the details of your workout in a journal or take the aid of the computer and use the fitness tracker web plan.
Check out: 6 Days workout schedule for men
#4. Don’t Fatigue Your Body
- Don’t overdo your aerobic and anaerobic exercises. Unnecessary stress and fatigue also makes you lose weight.
- After a good round of exercise or a walk take some rest and eat food rich in proteins and calories. You can consume an energy bar high in proteins, chocolate milk or even a protein shake.
- High calorie snacks or an ice-cream should be taken before bed time.
- Eat handful of nuts everyday or sprinkle them on soups, salads, cereal and desserts; for that extra protein, fiber, healthy fat, and calories.
Diet Plan For Weight Gain
#5. Construct a Diet Monitoring Plan
A good bulking diet is of paramount importance. If gaining weight is not part of your muscle-building plan, you will not succeed ultimately. With precise data and accurate nutrition-tracking program, you can easily keep track of your daily schedule.
- Consume 500 calories every day in addition to the general maintenance level. These additional calories will increase your body weight by a pound almost every week. This weight gain is really healthy but a higher rate of bulking will result in excess fat.
- Design a specific weight gain diet that will help you to gain few pounds, is essential. Before bulking, you need to plan your bulking diet. Determine the amount of protein you require everyday to develop that bulk. Calculate precisely the percentage of calorie intake that has to come from your dietary fat. Take the aid of Harris- Benedict equation to conjure an estimate of the total calorie requirements during the bulking period and focus on that specific number to establish your carbohydrate requisites.
- Try to eat low-GI carbs except immediately when you are undergoing a weight lifting session with an increased degree of intensity. Plan your diet precisely keeping in mind the minutest details of your food intake. For gaining muscle and weight quickly, eat 50-70 extra calories per kg of your body weight.
- Give the body a muscle building diet. Dietary fat in proper amounts is indispensable for your future fitness. Most skinny people are undernourished. Monounsaturated or good cholesterol-lowering fats are present in olive oil or flax seed oil. It is specified that 30% of the total calories should come from fat. Your diet should be rationally balanced and moderate.
#6. Keep a Balance of Protein and Carbohydrate in your Diet
- Take a muscle building diet rich in proteins good fats and carbohydrates. If possible, eat at least five times a day instead of three. Have a protein-rich snack before working out. Afterwards, take some carbohydrates to enhance protein synthesis and minimize protein degradation. This is an effective strategy during the mass-gaining period.
- Keep accurate records of your calorie and fiber intake. It is important to know the ratio of macronutrients and saturated to unsaturated fats in the diet. Keep a regular track of the degree of carbohydrates on the glycemic index.
#7. Focus on Nutrition, not only Calories
It is essential to make a precise plan of your food intake. Concentrate on the nutritious as well as high calorie foods.
Do not consume plain calorie rich diet high in sugar, fat or starchy carbohydrates.
The main aim is to select foods that are replete with essential minerals, nutrients, and calories so that each bite is loaded with good nutrition. Consume plenty of nutritious foods.
The best way to enrich your diet with additional nutrients is to add-on and other healthy fats into your daily menu.
#8. Keep Snacking
If you are really keen on gaining weight you must endeavor to eat a good and healthy snack between the main meals.
- You must attempt to eat at least 6 meals a day.
- The main meals should include foods rich in proteins, starch and fat.
- You can try a turkey sandwich made with whole grain bread with good helping of mayonnaise, tomatoes, cheese and baked potato.
- Winding up it with a fruit smoothie afterwards will play magic.
- Eat frequently high calorie food loaded with nutrients and you can expect to gain almost half a pound to 1 pound in a week.
#9. Dietary Supplements
It is indeed good to exercise and have robust lifestyle. Start with a workout schedule in order to increase your bulk and enhance your muscle mass. Also escalate your carbohydrate intake instantly after the workout. This will replenish your energy levels instantaneously and you can do your workouts without feeling tired and exhausted.
In case you are not putting on the required weight you should try taking a protein supplement or a good multivitamin mineral soft drink to boost your body weight.
Taking a glass of full-fat milk and fresh fruit juices instead of soda or other aerated drinks is also beneficial for a desired weight gain.
In a nut shell, a relaxed state of mind and body with plenty of foods rich in nutrients and calories is the key to gain weight.
If you are unable to make further progress, try periodization in order to get the gains for a longer period of time. You will have to constantly challenge your body with changing levels of intensity to achieve your target.
(Photo Credit: Getty Images / Inmagine)