A runny nose although sounds simple and uncomplicated but ironically creates lot of irritation and discomfort. You must not take it casually and should immediately take necessary measures to combat it.
Typically, a running nose is characterised by scratchy throat followed within some time by sneezing and a colourless watery nasal discharge, with the nasal secretions becoming thicker and probably yellow or green. You can suffer from this common affliction especially in the cold and flu season. When you have a cold, your runny nose is teeming with cold viruses. You may also have cough, headache, or other symptoms.
The symptomatic relief is the main treatment for cold with runny nose. Effective treatment involves the use of certain conventional medicines as well as home remedies. The advantage of employing the natural remedies is that it is comparatively inexpensive and does not have any side effects.
- It is extremely important to increase the intake of fluids especially lukewarm water. The hydrating effect of water keeps the sinuses moist and thus reduces the chances of further infection. Keep yourself warm since cold air aggravates the watery discharge of the runny nose and increases the chances of getting a headache. The exposure to cold and chilly air will thicken the mucus thus making breathing uncomfortable.
- It is imperative to enhance the intake of vitamin C. Fruits that are rich in vitamin C such as strawberries, oranges and other citrus fruits should be taken. Vitamin C tablets also bring lot of relief from runny nose.
- Chewing ginger helps in curbing the thin watery nasal discharge. You can chew some finely sliced raw ginger, three times a day. This natural home remedy helps in alleviating the irritable symptoms.
- Ginger tea is considered as safest and effective home remedy. You can also add green onions to the ginger tea.
- Taking moderate spicy foods and soups, for example chicken soup, also serves as one of the simplest natural home remedies for Cold with Runny Nose. Chicken soup helps relieve cold symptoms by acting as an anti-inflammatory and temporarily increasing the movement of mucus.
- Putting two drops of warm mustard oil in the nostrils with a dropper is one of the popular natural remedy for Runny Nose.
- Saline nasal sprays are also used to minimize the discomfort since these help to rinse the mucus and remove the irritants and bacteria.
- You can make use of a humidifier to keep the nostrils moist. However the humidifier should be kept clean and free of fungus.
- You must also avoid dust, smoke or pollen to save yourself from this malady.
- Blow tenderly and frequently in a soft cotton napkin to help the nose remove excess of mucus. Apply cream or petroleum jelly in case the nostrils get sore and chapped. Consult your doctor whether a decongestant and an antihistamine is needed for you.
- Last but not least, wash your hands thoroughly and frequently to avoid spreading or picking up germs.